$159 + tax / Adult
$124 + tax / Child (ages 4 -12)
4.5 hours approx. (2.5-3 hrs paddle time)
Easy-Moderate. Paddle experience not required
2 person minimum / 6 person maximum
At least 1 guide per maximum of 6 participants
Guide(s), kayaks, paddle gear, a hardy snack & bottled water
Layered clothing, comfortable shoes and a warm hat
Sun glasses, camera, binoculars, gloves and rain gear
May 10 – September 10, 2017
Daily: 8:30am & 10:00am
Custom tour times can also be arranged
This is our most popular small-group kayak adventure. By combining an ample half-day of paddling with one-way boat transportation you’ll be able to explore a variety of Sitka Sound’s countless islands and seldom-traveled passages.
Our half-day paddle & cruise adventure is the perfect introduction to the wild side of Sitka Sound, beginning with a fun and informative kayak skills & safety orientation. The Guide will explain the variables to be considered in designing the day’s unique float plan, and, once afloat, you’ll have some time to dabble about in the crystal clear shallows, getting comfortable with your craft, before we set out to explore our first group of islands.
While paddling through mazes of reef and kelp forest – areas accessible only by kayak – your interpreter/guide will help identify the colorful marine life visible below, including: crab, sea stars, anemones, sea urchins, jelly fish and more. At the surface, in addition to the star of the show – the ever amusing sea otter – we also frequently sight harbor seals, sea lions, porpoise, bald eagles and a variety of marine birds.
We’ll step ashore on a seldom-visited island to stretch our legs, do a little beachcombing, and enjoy a hearty snack while soaking in the majestic wildness and amazing views of the Sound. Our guide will explain some of the ecology of the area, and also tell you about the Tlingit people, who still harvest the ocean’s bounty using knowledge passed down since the last ice age. This half-day wilderness exploration concludes with an exciting 30-minute boat cruise to Sitka.
Please Note: This adventure is also conducted in reverse order, with the cruise outbound, followed by a paddle return to Sitka.
- Participants must be at least 4 years of age and have a reasonably long attention span.
- Maximum height: 6-ft 6-inches. Maximum weight: 275 pounds.
- Please arrive at the Big Blue Bus at Crescent Harbor 15 minutes prior to tour time.
- Guest safety is our highest priority. Tours will be cancelled if the lead guide determines that conditions are unsafe. A full refund shall be made if the tour is cancelled.
- If you’re coming to Alaska on a cruiseship, and you don’t know the exact timing of your ship’s port-call in Sitka, please click here to review a current version of the 2017 Cruiseship Schedule.
- To ensure we can accommodate your preferred tour timing and/or equipment availability, we highly recommend that you reserve your tour/expedition/kayak rental well in advance of your arrival date in Sitka. The months of June through August are especially busy.
- The information you provide will not be shared with any other person or business entity.