Check-In for Tours & Rentals
Please check-in for your sea kayak tour or rental at least 15-minutes before the scheduled start time. All check-ins take place at our base of operations, the Big Blue Bus parked at Crescent Harbor, right next to the Centennial Hall Convention Center on Harbor Drive. If you are arriving in Sitka for a multi-day expedition, please call us the day before your trip is to begin, to let us know that you made it to town as planned.
Equipment Loss or Damages
We promise to provide clean, well-functioning kayaks & gear to every customer we serve, and in return we expect customers to treat our equipment with care. Please do not drag or slide kayaks on the ground, launch ramps or beaches. Replacement or repair costs will be charged to the customer for any equipment that is lost or returned with damages caused by careless use.
Early Returns and Cancellations
There will be no partial refunds for early return of kayaks or short-notice cancellations. Please understand that when we make a commitment to reserve equipment and/or guides for your day-paddle or expedition, we are removing that service from inventory available to other customers. In our short season, if you cancel with less than two weeks notice, we stand little chance of recovering the lost business.
- All customers will be required to read and sign a liability release waiver prior to the start of any paddle activity: rental, guided day tour or expedition. Any participant under the age of 18 will be required to have a parent or guardian sign on their behalf.
- Participants under the age of 12 must ride/paddle in the same kayak as at least one parent or guardian. Children too young to paddle must ride in a triple-seat kayak with two adults.
- Before being released to begin a sea kayak rental, all participants must attend an orientation session, and must be able to demonstrate, on land, the proper technique for a self-rescue.
- Before departing on a self-guided paddle, participants will be required to complete and submit a float plan that includes general details about the duration and route of the intended paddle.
- We do not cancel guided tours or rentals because of rain. Sitka is located in a rainforest, and we do enjoy occasional doses of “liquid maintenance” to keep the forest lush and beautiful. Fortunately, rain has no effect on safety and very little effect on the paddling experience.
- We will cancel guided tours and rentals if we determine paddling conditions to be unsafe: strong wind, very choppy seas, greatly reduced visibility, or a combination thereof. These conditions don’t occur often, but when they do, the safety of our guests is our highest priority.
- If we do cancel due to weather, or because your cruiseship is delayed or has changed its itinerary, there will be no charges and you will receive a full refund.